Every person who has access to SLMS is first a Learner, regardless of the additional roles they may hold. Learners are the heart of SLMS. In SLMS, as a Learner you can:
Search for a course
- At the top or bottom of the home page, enter the course name or keyword in the Learning Search box. Click the double arrows to the right of the search box.
- The Find Learning page will appear listing all the courses with that name or keyword, showing the first 15.
- There are options and filters on this page to help you with your search.
- By selecting one of the filters on the left, you can narrow your search by Location, Category, Learning Type, Upcoming Events, and Rating.
- By clicking on the Advanced Search option under the Find Learning heading, you can make your search more specific by refining it by date, location, instructor, and more.
- When you have found the course you are interested in, you can click View Details for more information on the class, click the Enroll Now button to enroll (if the class has been scheduled), or click the Plan for Later button to add this course to your Learning Plan.
- To see the entire catalog, click the Find Learning link to the left on the home page. Here you will see the entire catalog and can use the filters or the Advanced Search feature to help you find a specific course or program.
Enroll in a class
- Locate the class by entering the class name or keyword in the search box at the top or bottom of the home page.
- Select the class from the returned search list and click on the Enroll Now button. (If there is no Enroll Now button the class has not been scheduled).
- You will now see more details on the class and a button to Submit Enrollment.
- The Enrollment Confirmation page appears confirming your enrollment.
- You can check your enrollment status on your My Learning page. (You can get to the My Learning page from the home page). If approval is required, your manager or special approver will automatically be notified by email, and your status on your My Learning page will be pending until you are approved. If no approval is required, your status will be enrolled.
Drop a class
- From the home page, select My Learning.
- Locate the title of the class you wish to drop and then click the Drop button in the action column in the same row. Your status will change to Dropped.
NOTE: If a manager or administrator enrolled you in the class, you cannot drop it, only they can.
Enroll in and launch online learning
- Locate the online learning by entering the name of the course or keyword in the search box on the home page and clicking on the Enroll Now button for the course you select.
- Click on the Submit Enrollment button.
- The Enrollment Confirmation page appears confirming your enrollment.
- Check your enrollment status on your My Learning page by clicking on the My Learning link on the home page.
- Once you are enrolled or approved for enrollment, you can launch your online course directly from your My Learning page by clicking the Launch button under the action column in the same row as the course title.
- Click the Launch button to begin the online course.
- If you do not finish the online course, you can click the Exit button in the online class or close the window you are in and Relaunch it when you are ready to continue from the My Learning page.
Print a completion certificate
- From the home page, click the My Learning link.
- All courses with a status of Completed will have a Print Certificate button for you to click to print your certificate.
View your learning history
- From the home page, click on the My Learning link. Here you will see your learning history and the status of all your enrollments, with the last 15 viewable on a page.
- You can change your view by clicking the down arrow from the View search box at the top left of the page and making a selection to view all completed learning, all pending learning, and more. Click the Search button to view what you have selected.
- You can also sort by clicking on the headings of the columns for Title, Type, Date, Status, etc.
- From the My Learning page you can:
- Drop a class
- Enroll in a class you have placed on your learning plan
- Launch online learning
- Print a certificate of completion
- Review or rate training you have taken
- View your training credits
View your certifications
- From the home page, click on the Certifications link.
- In the search box, select what you would like to view – all certifications, certified, expired, warning. Click Go to see what you have selected.
Create learning plans
- From the home page, click on the Learning Plans link. Here you will see a list of all your learning plans and you can create a new learning plan. By default, your first learning plan is titled My Learning Plan.
- To create a new plan, click on the Create New Learning Plan button from the My Learning Plan page.
- Name the plan and click Save.
- Click on the Details link.
- You can add to your plan by clicking on the Add New Learning to Plan button.
- The Find Learning page will appear where you can search for courses to add to your plan. Once you have a course you would like to add, click the Select button. You will be asked to select which learning plan you would like to add this course to. You can select one by checking the box next to its name, select all or clear all. You can also set a target completion date, priority, and if the course is required. Click the OK button when done.
Add supplemental learning
- From the home page, click on the Supplemental Learning link.
- At the Supplemental Learning page, select from the type of supplemental learning you are requesting be added to your learning transcript by clicking on the down arrow to the right of the Type search box. Then click the button to Add Supplemental Learning.
- On the next page, enter as much information as you can. Required fields are marked with an asterisk (*). You can also find and select programs and courses in the SLMS catalog to which your supplemental learning will give you credit. Click on the Save button when complete.
- The supplemental learning request appears on your My Learning page with the status of pending approval until your supervisor reviews and either approves or denies the request.
- From the home page, click on the Find Learning link.
- At the top of the page across from the Find Learning heading you will see the Request New Learning link. Click on this link.
- You will see a new page with a box for you to choose to request a new course or to request an existing course be scheduled. Below that there is another box for you to fill in about your priorities and information about you as a learner.
- When completed, scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Submit Request button. Your request is submitted and you will be notified when the course you requested has been scheduled.
Update your email address
Back to top
- From the home page, click on Main Menu → Self Service → Personal Information Home.
- Click on the Update Email Address button.
- Click Add an Email Address. From Email Type dropdown, choose Home or Other. Do not check box for primary, as any changes made to the primary email address are over-written regularly by your agency's SLMS Human Resources uploads.
- Update your email address and click Save.
- From the Personal Information home page, you can also add a photo by clicking on the Add Photo button, searching for and uploading your photo.